Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Trash to Treasure...

I have been on the hunt for a piece of furniture to use as storage for my ever growing supply of craft stuff.  A couple weekends ago Lance and I went out in hopes to find something during our community wide garage sale.  This is what we happened upon...
It definitely was NOT pretty, but the price was right at a whopping 15 bucks!!! The quality and sturdiness of the piece seemed great, but the previous owners let their daughter paint it...YIKES...it was quite a mess.  The hutch backboard had two large holes and wasn't quite salvageable, but that's not too much of a big deal. I'll show in a later post what I plan on doing with that.  Anyway...

I had the BEST helper ever sanding off a few rough spots...then busted out the primer.  I love primer.  It didn't require me to sand the entire piece before painting. Here it is in its "prime".

Then it was on to the painting.  I used an oil base paint because I read that it gives furniture a smoother coat.  Not to mention it is SUPER wipeable which is AWE-SOME!  Here it is painted with drawers in...except for two.  One needed to be glued and one needed to be sanded a bit so it would slide in and out more easily.  No biggie. 
I wasn't a huge fan of the hardware (although it is kind of cool and rustic which I might be able to use for a future project) so I searched online and found some nifty stainless steal pull bars for just $1.26 each! Since I needed 15 of the bad boys, I was STOKED at the price!!! I found some other ones I loved and thought were SO cool, but they were $10.00 a pop! OF COURSE!!!


And here it is finished with the new hardware. 
Yeah, I'm lovin' it! 

Project Tally:
Dresser and Hutch $15
Hardware $27 (shipping included)
Paint, primer and supplies $15 (total cost of all the supplies was more, but I plan on using them for future projects so this is the estimated cost for the amount I used on the project)
Craft storage awesomeness total: $57
I'll post it with the my hutch plans when that's complete.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Looks good!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wowsers!! That looks awesome!! Fantastic job!