Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

I take it back...I take it ALL back!!!

This week I began training for yet another half marathon. I trained for and ran one after having Lucas so I decided to do it again. I felt great during and after training and I actually started to really enjoy running.
So, I began on Monday with a great attitude and really excited about the whole deal. I was really hyped up and kept telling myself how great it will be and how much fun it's going to be and how great it will be to lose some weight and feel good about my self and BLAH BLAH BLAH. Monday I did strength training and Tuesday I ran 1 mile. Just one puny, measly mile and nearly died. So this morning, grunting and groaning while I struggled to roll out of bed because every single muscle in my body, including the ones I forgot I had, ached...I decided--I take it back...I take it ALL back! All the hubbub about how much fun it is...that's a bunch of fluff! What is fun about waking up in the morning so sore you want to curl in the fetal position (as if you really could) and cry yourself back to sleep? What's so fun about running in 95 degree heat (and that's on a "cooler" day in Texas)? What's so fun about feeling like a sweaty wildebeest? What's so fun about feeling so thirsty you drink so much it makes your bladder feel like it's going to burst?!
I'll tell you what's fun about it...
-When slowly but surely you build up your endurance. Before you know it you are pushing yourself farther and farther and find yourself running 5 miles and thinking...really...that was 5 miles...pfssshhh...piece of cake. And saying the same thing after 7 miles, 9 miles....
-Accomplishing things you thought you couldn't possibly do in the beginning.
-Watching the scale as it drops
-When all the hard work really DOES pay off and you are strutting around in your skinny jeans.
-Hearing someone say to you, "Wow, you are looking mighty trim!"
-Crossing the finish line and telling yourself, "I did it!" and thinking to yourself you'd never do it again only to find yourself nearly three years later...doing it again! :)
I really am still excited about going on this adventure. One of the things that makes me most excited is embarking on it with others. We will all experience the agony and accomplishments together!

Holla if you hear me! :)

3 comments:

Anne said...

LOL!
That's so so true!
I'm glad we have others to run with us, every painful mile...and well worth it in the end.

But I have to say...I CHEAT- I run indoors in the AC on a treadmill ;)

Alissa said...

GOOD LUCK! I don't have the self-discipline to do that. I'm the person who rolls up and goes back to sleep. Have fun!! :)

Anonymous said...

I've only had that kind of determination once. And it didn't last very long. :) Good luck to you and your goal! YIPEE!